I learned that the time I spent with the information
(duration) and the amount (capacity) of information presented had an impact on
what I could remember. Also, the more
familiar I was with an object the easier it was to remember. The task of remembering the various countries
was a challenge (complex task) because I do not use the names of countries routinely. When asked to remember numbers after the
attractiveness rating I was not able to remember any numbers. This was a great example of interference that
was mentioned in the PowerPoint slide. I
was a member of group B for exercise fourteen related to meaningfulness in
recall. I was able to recall all but one
of the answers. This validated that meaningfulness
of associations (familiarity) helped overcome the interference (time delay) in
answering the questions. As a side note,
my cell phone rang during one of the exercises.
I did not answer, but it was a distraction that effected my ability to
concentrate.
These were great exercises that allowed me to experience how my short term memory works. I was not surprised by my results. It is challenging for me to remember information that is intended for short term memory.
These were great exercises that allowed me to experience how my short term memory works. I was not surprised by my results. It is challenging for me to remember information that is intended for short term memory.
Nice connections here between the PowerPoint on STM and the test you took. I think it would be fun to do cell phone interruptions intentionally to see how they affect STM results!
ReplyDelete