Why is problem solving analogous to learning?
Problem solving (learning) occurs by assimilating or accommodating information that produces a change in behavior or capacity to behave. When information is received, it may be assimilated to what is already known, and this would result in solving a well-defined problem that is straight forward, familiar, and easy to solve (assimilate). In contrast, when novel information is received that does not fit into existing knowledge this creates an ill-defined problem which causes disequilibrium. The process of accommodation and problem solving (learning) results in building knowledge structures (schemas) to resolve the problem (cognitive conflict) and the novel are made familiar.
Problem solving (learning) occurs by assimilating or accommodating information that produces a change in behavior or capacity to behave. When information is received, it may be assimilated to what is already known, and this would result in solving a well-defined problem that is straight forward, familiar, and easy to solve (assimilate). In contrast, when novel information is received that does not fit into existing knowledge this creates an ill-defined problem which causes disequilibrium. The process of accommodation and problem solving (learning) results in building knowledge structures (schemas) to resolve the problem (cognitive conflict) and the novel are made familiar.
Is all learning problem solving or do we learn without solving problems?
Problem solving is the cognitive process that defines meaningful learning. Information processed through rote learning may be remembered in order to replicate and repeat the information, but will not be useful for non-routine thinking, accommodation, and problem solving. For meaningful learning to occur through the problem solving process there must be time, energy, concentration, attention, and effort devoted.
Problem solving is the cognitive process that defines meaningful learning. Information processed through rote learning may be remembered in order to replicate and repeat the information, but will not be useful for non-routine thinking, accommodation, and problem solving. For meaningful learning to occur through the problem solving process there must be time, energy, concentration, attention, and effort devoted.
Connection:
While I was the Assistant Dean of Nursing at BCTC, I dealt with a problem that involved a sensitive personnel issue. I received numerous complaints from students and faculty about a faculty member who had body odor to the degree that it was disruptive to the classroom environment. This was an ill-defined problem because there was not a clear step by step way to resolve the issue. I preceded by gathering information to clarify and delineate (fractionation process) the presented novel problem. I brainstormed strategies by talking to the Human Resource Department and colleagues who had handled similar situations. The big picture developed (mental representation), and I was able to determine strategies that would produce the desired outcome (goal). The plan evolved after exploration, questioning, and searching for discrepancies. “To solve a problem, it often is necessary or, at least, desirable to try out several representations of the problem in order to hit upon one that leads to an acceptable solution” (Pretz, Naples, & Sternberg, 2003, p. 9). After identifying several ways to address the problem, I role played the conversation (think/talk aloud) to test the content and delivery of this sensitive conversation. The social context was also important to consider. The situation involved numerous employees and students who were coming in contact with this male employee. I also think the gender of the employee contributed to how I went about addressing this situation. My knowledge base in health, wellness, and counseling was beneficial in responding to this problem. I did not address this situation immediately. I briefly removed myself from the issue (incubation period) in order to ensure that my proposed plan to address the problem still made sense after distancing myself from the issue. The problem was resolved through a private, respectful, discerning conversation that centered on maintaining the individual’s dignity.
While I was the Assistant Dean of Nursing at BCTC, I dealt with a problem that involved a sensitive personnel issue. I received numerous complaints from students and faculty about a faculty member who had body odor to the degree that it was disruptive to the classroom environment. This was an ill-defined problem because there was not a clear step by step way to resolve the issue. I preceded by gathering information to clarify and delineate (fractionation process) the presented novel problem. I brainstormed strategies by talking to the Human Resource Department and colleagues who had handled similar situations. The big picture developed (mental representation), and I was able to determine strategies that would produce the desired outcome (goal). The plan evolved after exploration, questioning, and searching for discrepancies. “To solve a problem, it often is necessary or, at least, desirable to try out several representations of the problem in order to hit upon one that leads to an acceptable solution” (Pretz, Naples, & Sternberg, 2003, p. 9). After identifying several ways to address the problem, I role played the conversation (think/talk aloud) to test the content and delivery of this sensitive conversation. The social context was also important to consider. The situation involved numerous employees and students who were coming in contact with this male employee. I also think the gender of the employee contributed to how I went about addressing this situation. My knowledge base in health, wellness, and counseling was beneficial in responding to this problem. I did not address this situation immediately. I briefly removed myself from the issue (incubation period) in order to ensure that my proposed plan to address the problem still made sense after distancing myself from the issue. The problem was resolved through a private, respectful, discerning conversation that centered on maintaining the individual’s dignity.
The learning that occurred during this process was
valuable, and this novel experience allowed me to accommodate this information,
so it is now familiar. This was
beneficial when a similar problem emerged that involved a report that a female
faculty member was dressing in what the person reporting considered
inappropriate attire. This situation was
handled through a carefully crafted personal conversation. The previous problem solving (learning) that transpired
enabled me to easily address the new problem due to the structural similarity. This is illustrated through the following
quote, “rendering a goal familiar renders similar goals similarly familiar in
the future” (as cited in Module 6 PowerPoint).
No comments:
Post a Comment