This summer I started a new exercise class (boot
camp/circuit training). I was excited about
joining this class, and since I go to the gym daily I had high self-efficacy
that this would be a positive rewarding experience. Based on a self-evaluation I concluded that I
am in relatively good shape, have a moderate level of endurance and strength,
and enjoy the experience of group exercise classes.
I showed up the first day, and I was the oldest person
in the class (at least by 20 years). My
self-efficacy changed from strong to weak in a matter of seconds. This was due to my interpretation of this
situation and my perceived failure to perform against this much younger
group. My self-judgment produced thought
patterns that I was old, not physically capable, and lacked the ability to
perform in this environment.
The class started, and I reluctantly participated
with a little anxiety and a lack of self-esteem. The instructor created a positive environment
for the class and challenged the students based on their ability. We were prompted
to perform at a level a little higher than we thought we could perform, but not
greater than our ability to accomplish. This
technique is illustrated through the following statement related to academics
by Pajares (2005), “academic work should be hard enough that it energizes, not
so hard that it paralyzes” (p. 344).
Throughout the class, whenever I felt that I was not
able to keep going, the instructor offered words of encouragement and praise
for my effort. Pajares (2005) stated, “whether
at home or at school, rather than praising for ability, make it a habit to
praise the genuine effort and persistence the young person puts forth” (p.
350). The instructor’s praise of my
effort always gave me renewed strength and determination to push a little
harder and exert more energy and effort in the activities.
When the instructor presented new exercises and
activities, she provided instrumental help that afforded me enough direction to
succeed on my own. She also provided
options for advanced, intermediate, and low intensity work outs. This allowed me to achieve success at my
level and enhance my feelings of confidence.
“Students’ self-efficacy beliefs develop primarily through actual
success on challenging academic tasks” (Pajares, 2005, p. 344).
The class is small, and I learned the names of all
the other participants. After a few
weeks, I noticed an environment of collective efficacy developing as we all
encouraged and cheered each other on to reach our personal goals. The differences in ability levels were not a
factor. The goals were individual, and everyone
was supportive. My
self-efficacy began to reach the level it was prior to starting the class.
After the first day of this new class, I had
thoughts about not coming back. My confidence,
self-belief, and motivation had suffered due to this perceived adversity. I think Pajares would agree with James
(1899/2001), “when all is said and done, and your best efforts are made, it
will probably remain true that the result will depend more on a certain native
tone or temper in the pupil’s psychological constitution than on anything else”
(p. 89). Pajares stated, “personal
agency is about will, drive, and self-determination” (p. 361). Of course, the end of the story is that I
remained in the class. I have thoroughly
enjoyed this new exercise class and my behaviors, cognitive (personal) factors,
and the environment were all instrumental in my self-efficacy.
My personal story can be compared to many college freshmen
who lack self-efficacy when they enter college. Without a supportive classroom
environment, they may end up not completing their freshman year. As noted by Vincent Tinto (1993), the
majority of students depart from an institution during their first year. “The character of one’s experience in that
year does much to shape subsequent persistence” (Tinto, 1993, p. 14). It is critical that instructors who work with
first year college students understand the basic principles of social cognitive
theory. Behavior, cognitive factors, and
environment play an important role in persistence.
Reference:
Tinto, V. (1993). Leaving college: Rethinking the causes and cures of student attrition.
Chicago,
IL: The University of
Chicago Press.
I was thinking that very same thing you mentioned at the end, about college freshmen. I also find that your story is similar to what our nontraditional students experience during their first semester. I usually have a couple students in each class that mention the age difference, and it's not the younger ones. I've been there, although I was only 10 years older than my fellow colleagues in graduate school, it influenced me.
ReplyDeleteThank you for sharing. I'm envious of your determination, and athleticism, to do a boot camp class. That is hard core!